KWID, San Francisco, GE 100kw transmitter being installed around 1942. During World War II and after it was used by the Office of War Information (OWI) and was eventually developed as the first USIA/VOA station. Its transmitter was then acquired by FEBC in 1956, and was eventually installed at KSBU Okuma, Okinawa in 1960 as an AM transmitter. When Okinawa reverted to full Japanese control, the transmitter was sent to FEBC Saipan. (See #1029. See also #1023).